Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you talk to people about music IRL?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 04:36 AM   #36 (permalink)
Mojo
Melancholia Eternally

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
It is pretty easy for me to talk about music with people irl because I am not pretentious. I listen to chart music as well as non-chart music and end up recommended artists to people based off of the chart music they like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Basically. They don't have to be pretentious but they are super picky about what they listen to and heavily frown upon mainstream artists. I am not saying whether that is a good or bad thing but it is a fact.
This is definitely true of some people. Some music lovers will actually start a conversation with someone about music just to look down on their music taste in some kind of exercise in being a pretentious douche, or "different", or to make themselves feel superior in some way. However, plenty people who have a more mainstream music taste will be just as pretentious by criticising styles of music they know little to absolutely nothing about.

Anyway, I have a few people to talk music with. One in my closest group of friends. He's my gig buddy, my fellow sludge lover, but with a relatively open mind to bands and artists from Burzum through to The Smiths and Jethro Tull and Nina Simone. Music is a big, big foundation for our friendship. The only other people I feel comfortable with talking to about music and being myself in doing so, I dont see anywhere near as often. But will still go to local shows with them or go and see their bands etc.

I joined up here to be able to talk about music more freely and discover more of it from like minded or knowledgeable people. I still like and need that, but I could be doing much worse when it comes to having people I can do that with in IRL also.

Last.FM | Echoes and Dust
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote