Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums you like, by artists you don't...
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 07:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Yeah, Drama was the one that fell out very quick, but (as these things go usually) it has been getting a bit of a reassessment recently. "Machine Messiah" is possibly the closest to the classic Yes sound, although it was a wise move to have it be the opener just to let the fans know that they were still holding onto their world even with new members. Still, even if Trevor Horn can do a passable slightly lower register Jon Anderson, in my opinion he still does not go into that level of being annoying especially with slightly darker lyrics taking the stage. You might want to dive into the second half first to get into what I think is where the album worked best.

Actually, getting more notes and links to support them. it's interesting to note that classic era Co-Producer Eddy Offord helped out on this as well.

I'm trying to find where I heard it (it may have been the Classic Artists Documentary), but I think that I heard somewhere that Horn had some trouble trying to get the higher registers of Anderson by the end of the tour supporting Drama.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drama_%28Yes_album%29

The interesting thing - Yes reformed and recorded "Owner of a Lonely Heart" and 90125 with Horn as the Producer just before his ZTT label started to go gangbusters in '84 with Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Art of Noise - he already made a name for himself Producing ABC's Lexicon of Love released in 1982. At least the album where I end my interest was at least a passable one.

Last edited by Screen13; 02-05-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote