Music Banter - View Single Post - Music recommendation for fan of '50s-'70s music?
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea
AllTheWhileYouChargeAFee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
I wasn't expecting to find such good music right off the bat. I'd never heard of either band. They're not the type I hear played much on my local station.

It's nice to hear someone has similar tastes. Thank-you for the excellent recommendations!
You're welcome. There is a thread on Animal Collective here, a thread on Tame Impala here, and I would expect you'd also like Grizzly Bear, which I started a thread here a while ago. Those are my "Big 3" of recent bands. There are others I like, but to me those are the standouts.

As for older music you may not have heard, if you like the Beatles I can practically guarantee you will like Todd Rundgren's Something/Anything album. It is, IMO, the best double-album ever. I had a college roommate get me into this album (waaay back in the mid-80's) and it's been a staple of my listening ever since. A few goofy songs on the album, but otherwise not a bad song at all.

EDIT: BTW, Todd Rundgren is also a big influence on Kevin Parker. In fact, if you listen to the first song in the video above, you'll notice the main melody is very similar to part of the 2nd half of Mind Mischief on the previous page.

It was late, last night
I was feeling something wasn't right ...

And:

She remembers my name
Could be blown way out ...

Last edited by DriveYourCarDownToTheSea; 02-19-2014 at 07:49 PM.
DriveYourCarDownToTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote