Music Banter - View Single Post - The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds vs The Beatles' Revolver
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I feel pretty sorry for the Beatles and the Beach Boys, both condemned to endlessly slog it out in one vs thread after another.

In this one, Frownland gives the impression that Within You Without You was on Revolver, which is not the case. Anyway, if anyone needs their memory jogged about these albums, here are their tracklists:-

1. Taxman
2. Eleanor Rigby
3. I'm Only Sleeping
4. Love You To / Here, There And Everywhere
5. Yellow Submarine
6. She Said She Said
7. Good Day Sunshine
8. And Your Bird Can Sing
9. For No One
10. Doctor Robert
11. I Want To Tell You
12. Got To Get You Into My Life
13. Tomorrow Never Knows

1. Wouldn't It Be Nice
2. You Still Believe in Me
3. That's Not Me
4. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
5. I'm Waiting for the Day
6. Let's Go Away for Awhile
7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows
9. I Know There's an Answer
10. Here Today
11. I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
12. Pet Sounds
13. Caroline, No

Coincidentally, both albums have 13 tracks, so that makes it an easy fight to adjudicate:-
Round 1: Taxman vs Wouldn`t It Be Nice: Beach Boys win
2: Beatles
3: Beatles
4: Beatles
5: Beatles
6: Beatles
7: Beach Boys
8: Beach Boys
9: Beatles
10:Beach Boys
11:Beach Boys
12:Beatles
13:Beatles

So I make it an 8 to 5 win for the Beatles; tbh a bigger win than I expected before I was lured in to this little exercise. Of course, in some ways the fight is completely unequal; poor old Brian Wilson was a lone songwriter up against some very conventionally-minded colleagues, while the Beatles were a threesome, all trying to outdo each other in pushing the envelope. So all these vs threads are
hopelessly unfair from the start. We should be putting just one Beatle into the ring with Brian Wilson so that he at least has a chance.

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 02-23-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote