Music Banter - View Single Post - Babymetal
Thread: Babymetal
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #34 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Well they're trying to be accessible to the mainstream, aren't they? Novelty acts don't usually do that. They're also trying to create the illusion that they're part of some kind of talented band by hiring talented studio musicians to make legitimately good music. If it was just the regular cheesy metal, I'd agree with you, but the musicianship on this is actually pretty decent.

I don't know about you, but if Weird Al suddenly started playing jazz fusion song parodies with The Mahavishnu Orchestra backing him up, I'd say he was trying to take himself pretty seriously.

How can you even like music that you don't take seriously, at least to some extent, whether it be the musicianship, the lyrics, etc.
You just answered your own question.
Weird Al. No way you can take him seriously, but you can enjoy his music. It's the same with any novelty act. I love "Star Trekkin'" by the Firm, but no way would I take it seriously. Life, and music, does not all have to be about taking things seriously. Honestly, why would this bug you so much? It's not like they're trying to take Iron Maiden or Metallica's crown, now is it? They're just enjoying themselves. I say fair play to them.

Easy on the eye too, which is more than I can say about 90% of metal bands!