Music Banter - View Single Post - Babymetal
Thread: Babymetal
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 07:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Forward To Death
Trolier Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You just answered your own question.
Weird Al. No way you can take him seriously, but you can enjoy his music. It's the same with any novelty act. I love "Star Trekkin'" by the Firm, but no way would I take it seriously. Life, and music, does not all have to be about taking things seriously. Honestly, why would this bug you so much? It's not like they're trying to take Iron Maiden or Metallica's crown, now is it? They're just enjoying themselves. I say fair play to them.

Easy on the eye too, which is more than I can say about 90% of metal bands!
It doesn't bother me at all, I think I've listened to one song all the way through, and about 20 seconds of another song. I honestly couldn't care any less about them, or who likes them.

Of course you can't take Weird Al seriously, in the sense of music, because comedy isn't meant to be taken seriously. Taking comedy seriously is like listening to prog metal because you think weird time signatures are funny.

"Hahahaha, Jim, did you hear that hilarious guitar progression?! It was SO oddly structured, bro!"

"No, Gilbert Gottfried just made a joke about a bear ****ing a guy in the ass, but the guy keeps coming back! Like you'd keep coming back! UGH! It's so unrealistic!"

Whether they're enjoying themselves, or trying to take Iron Maiden's crown, etc. doesn't really factor into my opinion. I'm criticizing what they sound like first and foremost. I do think they take themselves way too seriously, and like I said before, it isn't common that a band that doesn't take itself seriously would have this level of production and musicianship. No band that's just trying to be a novelty would spend that kind of time, effort and capital to create their music.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote