Music Banter - View Single Post - Illmatic - is it worth the hype?
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #86 (permalink)
Forward To Death
Trolier Than Thou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Mortem View Post
I gotta be honest, I just gave the album a spin for the first time recently and I was a little disappointed. People swore by it up and down but not one song stood out to me. There was a serious lack of emotion. If you have an example to the contrary, I'd be more than happy to see it.
It just seems like a consistent album, every track to me is pretty excellent. Ofc, I really don't give two ****s about the emotional aspect of the music, since you can't really even quantify that it exists in music. Someone's version of emotion might be more dry than another's, and I think it's silly to say something like "oh, Jimi Hendrix's guitar playing is so emotionally driven, but then when I listen to something like Buckethead, it doesn't sound very emotional at all!" even though we have no idea what their emotions are, or if they're even there.

Anyways, I like the jazzy production and storytelling rapping on Illmatic, and I think that's why it stands out amongst it's peers from the early-mid 90s hip-hop scene. I'm not quite as high on it as I was a couple of years ago, when I really started getting into more hip-hop, but it's still a very good album.

Favorite song off the album:

Also, Goof put me on to Elzhi's remake, which I actually have to admit is better just because of the updated production, even though it's very true to the original.

Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote