Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #382 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

If you want Tom Waits style vocals you should check out The Peculiar Pretzelmen, although they're more of a cabaret act.

16 Horsepower, again, are hard to replicate, and I think most bands know that. Not only that, but the band never really thought of themselves as a country group. While their influences obviously include bluegrass, country, and traditional folk, DEE has stated in multiple interviews that Joy Division, Nick Cave, The Gun Club, and The Birthday Party are also their influences. I think it's safe to say that many of the other bands that fall under this genre are more influenced by country acts like Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Red Foley, and Bill Monroe, and as such they will adopt singing and playing styles similar to those musicians.

I think you should go through the "Denver Sound" artists, which is basically just a moniker for a collective group of musicians who were all doing variants on the same thing in the late '80's through to the present day. They're all more or less linked together by guest spots, shared musicians, and friendship, and they include Jay Munly, Slim Cessna's Auto Club, Lillium (solo project of 16 HP bass player Pascal Humbert), Tarantella (which features members from SCAC), The Denver Gentlemen (which more or less features everyone, including DEE), etc.

But again, nothing is going to sound precisely like 16 HP, but I think the bands from Denver are your best bet.

For gravely vocals, you'll probably have better luck with Outlaw country bands.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote