Music Banter - View Single Post - The Reggae & Ska Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #236 (permalink)
Psychedub Dude
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Mortem View Post
Well I'm totally new to the genre, but after conquering a small area of country recently, I'm goin down the list of music I don't listen to enough of

I like some Sublime, aside from that though, and a few Skindred (reggae metal) songs, don't really have much to work off for what kind of recs I'd enjoy. Can anyone suggest a wide variety of sub-styles with examples?
You should definitely check out Gavin Bs extremely informative thread http://www.musicbanter.com/reggae-sk...ge-reggae.html
It'll def give you a great start on the genre and even give you a cool little history lesson! haha

As far as recs if you're just getting into reggae, I would def suggest checking out guys like Junior Murvin, Gregory Isaacs, Burning Spear, The Wailers, etc. These are roots reggae artists with their own distinct flavors, they will give you a feel and respect for the genre.

If you're looking for more instrumental/spaced out reggae stuff check out some of the original dub artists like Augustus Pablo, King Tubby and Scientist. These are really laid back and and mellow reggae jams for lazy afternoons.

If you're looking for more stuff like Sublime check out Ballyhoo!, Slightly Stoopid and Rebelution. These guys are more reggae/rock as well as other influences. They all have a heavy Sublime vibe though.

Hope that helps!
Eat up all their MC's and drink 'em under the table

[B]Last.fm

Shadows Of Our Souls
Psychedub Dude is offline   Reply With Quote