Music Banter - View Single Post - Was that Beyonce album any good?
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 10:41 AM   #27 (permalink)
Soulflower
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
You are currently bashing her for it and everyone else that doesn't like Beyonce bashes her for it.

I am not bashing her. I am giving constructive criticism and I have legitimate reasons for my opinion. You need to stop saying someone is bashing or someone is a hater just because they give constructive criticism.

I could see if there was no rational to my argument but there is so I am not sure why you keep insisting that I am bashing her when I am not.

Also, it does not matter what I think, I am talking about what the media says and projects and she does not nearly get as much criticism as the others.

Quote:
You aren't the only person to make this point and bash Beyonce for it as well. Saying that she can't have her cake and eat it to.

I am not "bashing" her. I am giving constructive criticism that I think is definitly warranted.

Those lyrics were VERY disrespectful and its ashame how the is constantly played like that those lyrics are okay and mean nothing.

I have an issue with someone who thinks it is okay to make fun of an abusive relationship and if you want to say I am bashing her or calling me a hater for it... then fine, I dont care.

That is unacceptable.

If Miley, Rihanna or Lady Gaga had made lyrics like that they would have gotten dragged through the mud by the media.

Quote:
There is a lot of misogyny and internalized misogyny that gets perpetuated by the media and Beyonce doesn't get any passes. She gets hit with it as well.

No she does not. Even when she finally got some criticism for her lip singing last year, everyone was still supporting her and making excuses for her. I remember J Lo even insisted that Whitney lip singed so why couldn't Beyonce.

If Michael Jackson did not get a passed
If Madonna did not get a passed
If Janet Jackson did not get passed
If Whitney Houston did not get a passed
If Britney Spears did not get a passed

Why should Beyonce get a passed for lip singing?

People make alot of excuses for her and the media seems to fawn over her regardless if her music is crap or not. She is a media darling.

Quote:
There isn't a double standard. You just haven't noticed all the articles that have been out criticizing Beyonce for stupid minor things instead of sticking to her music. She got criticized for the her performance during some award show recently where she was the opening act. I watched it but can't remember what is was.
Beyonce had some pretty raunchy lyrics and music videos on her latest album and the media and critics raved about it and did not mention anything about her questionable lyrics and her more raunchier image.

Miley Cyrus does the same thing but they drag her all the time but they don't say anything about Beyonce or when she does it.

They say she is a good role model for young girls or make excuses by saying she represents "feminism"

I have a problem with that because showing your ass is not "feminism" and I don't see how singing about how it is okay to let a man hit you is being a good role model for young girls.

Quote:
You know why it's impossible for me to consider it. Critics write their reviews based off of the music. Sure they might talk about the hype but they get more detailed into their reviews and actually break down the songs. I don't know what reviews you read on a constant basis but those critics would be fired if all they did was talk about fluff like hype around a record instead of going into details about the tracks themselves.

They were saying that her album was the best album released last year and I am sorry that is B.S. They only said that because of how she released it. Now of course I am not saying this is the case for ALL critics but some critics most definitly do go by hype, hell some even based their ratings on whether they like or dislike the artist personally and ignore the quality of their craft all together i.e. Michael Jackson. It is not right and it is not fair which is why it is silly to go by what critics think or believe. I just thought all the critics reviews on her album were laughable while other albums that were actually good quality got poor reviews.

Quote:
It makes no sense for them to do that. There is nothing to take into consideration about that because it doesn't happen.
It does happen. You are just not being open minded to the fact that it does happen. You make it seem like Beyonce gets criticized all the time and that is not true. She hardly gets criticism compared to Lady Gaga or Miley Cyrus for instance.

Quote:
Bossy, In Public, Blindfold Me, Millionaire. I just don't care about Kelis the same way you do. I'm not interested in the output of her music.
Just like I figured, you just mention her singles and did not even list albums that you have listened to.

I don't understand this.

How can you listen to 4-5 songs and make a argument that you do not like her music or do not care for her?

Millionaire with Andre 3000 is actually a really good song.

If you do not care for her that is okay but don't say you have listened to her music when you have not.

Quote:
Also what instruments does she play? This is news to me. Also that song reminds me of songs that came from Beyonce's B'Day album. It's actually good though and I like the horn line. Beyonce had a horn line and live musicians on her album B'Day.
That song sounds nothing like what Beyonce has done but if you think so... okay.

Quote:
It wouldn't have mattered when she released her album. She would have destroyed Lady Gaga and Rihanna in sales regardless. JT maybe not so much but her sales would still be pretty high regardless.
Sound Scan recently came out with her sale figures and she has sold a combined total of 15 million copies which is not really a lot for a artist of her stature. There are artists that are less known that have sold more than that. Her albums do not sell alot and I highly doubt she would have still sold well with all those artists dropping their albums at the same time which is why her team waited to release her album at the last minute.

Quote:
You didn't mention sales but you proceeded to mention how successful he was doing the same technique of not telling the release date and just dropping it which isn't exactly NO promotion when you release singles ahead of time. Singles DO count as promotion so that argument is straight up trash.

You can release a single and still not have promotion.

He did not do the Superbowl like Beyonce did.
He did not sing at the Inauguration like Beyonce did.
He did not have world tour like Beyonce did.
He did not have Pepsi commercial and endorsements like Beyonce did
He did not leak any of his songs to test the strength of them like Beyonce did

She had PLENTY of promotion before she dropped her album like that. David Bowie did not before he dropped his singles online out of the blue.

Quote:
All of this is anecdotal.

I don't have to read your mind when you already talked about it in your previous post. Would you like me to quote your own post where you stated it yourself?
You said I found that out through my "small circle". How do you think I am suppose to take that? That is why I asked how do you know who I went to or talked to me about the album? People talked about it for a week and that was it. No one talks about that album.

Quote:
You have in other threads that aren't even about her. So don't play coy now :P
I am not playing coy. I don't criticize people for no reason. I don't just criticize people just to criticize them.

Quote:
I don't agree with your opinion and your slut shaming but it's your opinion to have.
You don't have to agree because that is not why I expressed my opinion.

I am not slut shamming anybody.

It is not "okay" for someone who claims they care about the youth and young girls to show their ass in their videos and on stage BUT then turn around and call themselves a role model. I don't take someone like that seriously.

You can't have it both ways.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote