Music Banter - View Single Post - What state is the health service in where you are?
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
If you go to A&E here you have to wait minimum of 1-2 hours and it can take up to 12 hours to be seen. I have had many health issues in the past 8 years and have had to go with Ambulances which tends to get you seen faster (one of the times I had a seizure). I spent many days in the women's unit due to my endless cysts and Endometriosis pain and it took a long time before I got my surgery. Luckily the nurses from the Women's Unit would get me right up to be admitted rather than 3-4 hours in emergency to be then sent to the Women's Unit anyway.

The health services are free, everything is covered (ultrasounds, CT scans, etc) but you have to pay $80 each time you go by ambulance unless you pay $40 a year to be a member.
That mirrors pretty much what it's like to be admitted to a university medical center here in my state, on indigent care. You'll be at the hospital most of the day, because there are too many people to be serviced.

On one hand, I appreciate that we have a system that allows low-income individuals to get treated free of charge at UMCs, but on the other, the quality of service is severely degraded because there is just too much demand for the supply.
My dad just got shoulder surgery at our local UMC free of charge, and he was just trying to get a refill on his pain meds, waited an entire day in the waiting room for them to turn him away because after all those hours, the verifying doctor had gone home for the day. So he had to spend a few days in excruciating pain because they wouldn't refill his script, and the same script would have costed him hundreds of dollars at a retail location.