Music Banter - View Single Post - What state is the health service in where you are?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
Astronomer
we are stardust

I'm in Australia, where the healthcare system used to be fantastic and rivaled, if not topped, some of the best in the world. Sadly, it is going downhill as most hospitals and medical services become privatised and public services are turning to crap due to lack of funds. A lot of my family are in the medical field and are either a) losing their jobs at public hospitals due to everything being privatised or b) struggling because public hospitals are so understaffed and underfunded. Private services are booming but are sadly unaffordable to most.

The same thing is happening with our public education system here. Our government is almost trying to mimic the systems in countries like the US for some bizarre reason, but I don't see it working for us. We've gone from free healthcare of fantastic quality, available to everybody, to now decrepit public hospitals of low quality medical care OR you pay premium dollar for a private service (that most can't afford). Exactly the same with public schools vs. private schools. It's just not fair. Everybody is entitled to health and education services, regardless of income. In the past, Australia was ALL about fantastic public schools and public hospitals that every single member of the public could utilise, private services weren't even a part of it! Now they are taking over.

I am fortunate because of my job and income I can afford an industry private health insurance, so I am able to enjoy the benefits of the private medical services here. I just can't say the same for the rest of the general public.
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote