Music Banter - View Single Post - The Smiths
Thread: The Smiths
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #280 (permalink)
Josef K
A Jew on a motorbike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I don't know how being glib is suppose speak to someone in a meaningful way. Some of the lyrics are so melodramatic they become ridiculous. Girlfriend In A Coma the lyrics are about a situation that's seemingly serious enough (about a girlfriend who may or may not survive) and yet Morrissey is still able to pull it off as being insincere about his comatose girlfriend. He is definitely not singing something with the sincerity that give the same depth and and meaning to a song e.g. as Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You, or some other Country song that makes you want to cry in your beer. Just thinking about a situation where you could loose your girlfriend should have you bawling your eyes out but for some reason with his songs you don't. How does he do it? I really don't know. He gives these sad songs a little twist or something then they reach that potential as being heart wrenchingly sad as they could had been or should had been.
I don't think I disagree with any of this. But I think there are a lot of people (including a bunch of friends of mine) who would tell you his lyrics do "speak to them".
Josef K is offline   Reply With Quote