Music Banter - View Single Post - The Ramones Vs. The Sex Pistols
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #30 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomMartyr View Post
New York punks? You mean Blondie? Television? The Voidoids? If they want to pretend they're punk bands then more power to them. Maybe the Heartbreakers might count, but other than that... yeah. The punk movement was started in England. Period. Whatever band might happen to be the first band that ticked all the right musical boxes at the earliest possible time is almost beside the point, because without England they would have just been another isolated band that would have likely fallen by the wayside of history just like the Stooges, the New York Dolls, and the Velvet Underground (all bands that only really get retroactive notice because of punk).
You're wrong. Television didn't pretend to be Punk, probably didn't know what the genre was. Richard Lloyd just consider Television playing "street" music.

It's true the Punk "I'll spit in your face, jump up and down like a kid on a pogo stick, pin my clothes together with safety pins and wear S&M stuff" Rock started in England. But the music that became known as Punk evolved in the USA. Even the Rock and Roll that all UK band played has roots in America and like-wise American Folk had it's roots in the British Isle and Ireland. The UK and the US is really one country separated by the animosity of who started what.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote