Music Banter - View Single Post - Atheism and its negative stigma...
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 03:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
GuitarBizarre
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Spoiler for GB's long ass post:

I put it in italics the first time around...
The thing is, the concept of a higher being is a human concept. Its weighed up on its own merits. To ascribe the responsibility of explaining it to some nebulous higher being is to miss a key part of the puzzle - at some point, man created religion. Why?

Historically there have been two answers. Delusion or political leverage. Not one religion in all of history has ever been born lived and died without being either explained as the ramblings of a madman, or the tool of a political leader. It lets madmen tell themselves they understand the world, and it lets rulers tell their subjects they understand the world.

If neither of those things were factors, and if religions of the past had ever had a valid explanation for things science has subsequently disproven (Apollos chariot for example), the there might be an argument for it. But as far as i'm concerned, religion is a human tool created for human reasons. To address it as if humans have simply stumbled upon something by accident stretches things in my view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote