Music Banter - View Single Post - Gentle Giant Catalog Review
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Paul Smeenus
David Hasselhoff

Default Giant For A Day (1978)

This came out when I was living in Bamberg, West Germany on active duty in the Army. I was informed by friends and family not to even bother with this one, it made The Missing Piece seem like Octopus. Wise advise, this. I never bought a copy, I have never owned this album, & I will make this short and sweet. This album is BAAAAAAD.

Of particular note, the STUPID album cover suggests that you are encouraged to destroy it to make a cardboard mask out of it. It would be vastly more entertaining than listening to it.

Side One

"Words From The Wise": Crap

"Thank You": Dreck

"Giant For A Day": Poo

The one, the ONLY kinda/sorta good song on this embarrassment, "Spooky Boogie"

"Take Me": Shit

Side Two

"Little Brown Bag": Just an inch better than the previous attempts at straight-up rock & roll, still horrid tho

"Friends": John "Pugwash" Weathers only song, not as terrible as most of this album, sounds a lot like pre-XTC actually. It's ok

"No Stranger": Excrement

"It's Only Goodbye": Meh

"Rock Climber": Nope, this doesn't work either. Thankfully it concludes this abortion of a Gentle Giant album

There is one album left to review, and while the members of Giant hate it I think it is the only successful attempt at Pop-Giant. Civilian is next
Gentle Giant Catalog Review

The entire Ditty Bops catalog reviewed
Paul Smeenus is offline   Reply With Quote