Music Banter - View Single Post - Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #392 (permalink)
Xurtio
Brain Licker

You guys should stop talking about each other and discuss on the merits, try to stick to the subject matter. It helps avoid ****fights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Sure but my point is that it's an emotional issue for everyone, so painting it as purely scientific when judging someone is unfair.
I agree. Overall I agree with Vanilla's stance that it's a woman's body and I'm pro-choice, etc, etc, but "scientifically it's just cells up to a certain amount of weeks" is kind of misleading. First of all, it's a moral discussion, so it's not directly relevant; there is a legitimate moral argument on behalf of pro-choice already being made, so it's not really necessary in this regard anyway. Second of all, science doesn't actually say it's "just cells" (key word just). They certainly say it is a clump of cells, but science doesn't take up a moral position, such as setting the threshold for when something is "just" a sea of quarks and leptons, rather than having some sort of significance, since meaning is susceptible to subjective opinions and environmental conditions.

That's not to say some scientists and scientific communities don't take moral positions. Often it can compromise their subjectivity though and their work becomes more political than scientific. But science is not scientists, of course.