Music Banter - View Single Post - I Have a Strange Spirituality
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mr. Charlie
Shoo Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
Ever heard of Epicureanism?

you should give it a shot, it's one of the most logical and liberating philosophy of life i've ever heard.

Epicureanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i don't agree wholeheartedly with it, but i do find it's a very peaceful mindset.

"For Epicurus, the purpose of philosophy was to attain the happy, tranquil life, characterized by ataraxia—peace and freedom from fear—and aponia—the absence of pain—and by living a self-sufficient life surrounded by friends. He taught that pleasure and pain are the measures of what is good and evil; death is the end of both body and soul and should therefore not be feared; the gods neither reward nor punish humans; the universe is infinite and eternal; and events in the world are ultimately based on the motions and interactions of atoms moving in empty space."
Nice synopsis. He's one of my favourite ancient Greek thinkers. He had his fill of society and it's madness, f*cked off to build his own little community with his buddies and lived the good and simple life. He even tried to spread his wisdom by placing 'adverts' in markets advising people that buying things wouldn't make them happy. Gotta love that. A great man.
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote