Music Banter - View Single Post - Comics/Graphic Novels
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #260 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

I'm getting lucky as **** with the comics I'm reading. Almost done with the current issues of Thor: God of Thunder and it's another series totally worth the hype. The first eleven issues are just comic book mana from heaven. It switches between three different a young Thor who hasn't even gotten his hammer from 893 AD, the current day Thor, and an old Thor from many millenia in the future who is now king of Asgard. The story telling really adds to the character who isn't exactly the most three dimensional superhero, by showing different sides to his personality: the brash, arrogance of Thor's youth, the selfless hero of the modern era, and the wise but cantankerous Thor who has basically become his father.

Even more important is the slowly unfolding storyline that is told over the course of thousands of years from each of their perspectives to form an engrossing mystery. It's a fairly simple concept, but it's executed beautifully. And the evolution of the narrative keeps gives enough satisfying payoffs while asking even more questions that you're always been drawn further in. The villain is pretty awesome too, being suitably badass and horrifying yet surprisingly relatable and tragic.

And the artwork again elevates the material to the level of almost perfection. I was hoping for epicness from a comic about the Norse god of thunder, but I was not prepared for just how epic the art style itself would be. Every panel looks almost like the kind of detailed battle painting one might find in a museum, with slightly muted, faded-looking colors that give the impression of an ancient epic brought to life. Combined with the story it really feels like high fantasy, with dashes of sci fi thrown in for good measure.

Spoiler for Bigass ****ing Pics:

After the first brilliant story arc there's a bit of a dip in quality, though it's still highly enjoyable. The original artist was replaced, and the vibe changed from high concept fantasy to a more light-hearted, dungeons and dragons kind of pulp fantasy. Still a lot of fun, but a definite step down. Thankfully five issues later the original artist returns and the series seems to pick up where it left off thematically, and is so far as amazing as ever. Old King Thor engaging in an epic battle with Galactus is certainly one of the high points of the series.

Spoiler for King Thor vs. Galactus:

Edit: @ .bob - And apparently the same guy who wrote Thanos Rising, Jason Aaron, is also the writer for Thor: God of Thunder, if that means anything.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 08-09-2014 at 08:16 AM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote