Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's Psychic Album Reviews
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #23 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Another day, another embarrassing failure. Let’s see if I got any even partway right.

Wichita: Well it sure ain’t acapella!Not only that, but it’s a fast song, not a slow one. Oh, and it’s about Wichita, of course. Who woulda thunk it?

Beaumont rest stop: Weellllll… it’s kind of mid-paced, yes, and there is fiddle there somewhere, though I have yet to hear a flute. I don’t think I got the subject right though: seems more about a bus stop than a cafe.

Mind of a soldier: Hey! Slow acoustic song. One thumb up. Guitar and pedal steel in there, don’t hear a piano yet. Subject totally off base though. Nice idea: “I don’t claim to know the mind of a soldier/ But I once knew the heart of a man.” There’s a violin, so doing ok on this one. If we were to get harmonica now I’d have a pretty good score. No, no harmonica. Oh well.

Summertime: Nah, not the classic, damn it. Also it’s uptempo. I got nothin’ here.

Is the blue moon still shining? Well it may be, but not on me. An uptempo bluegrass number? Ah, not quite. Slow, acoustic guitar piece with a sort of a watzy swing to it. Lyrically, I don’t think I quite nailed it either. Another fail. No acapella opening, no accordion, no fiddle and no electric gee-tar. Shee-oot!

Honey on my grave: Lyrically, this one was incredibly hard for me to even guess at, and amazingly I got it right! The lyric is almost word for word! Holy crap! It’s more an uptempo song with guitar and dobro rather than violin, but hey: I did good!

Old dancin’ fool: Wasn’t sure about the subject matter here, but it sure ain’t uptempo. Couldn’t be more opposite. Sure, who would expect to get two right in a row, even partially? Fiddle’s there all right, don’t hear steel guitar but I hold out hope. My second guess at the lyric was relatively spot-on oh and there’s the steel guitar! Woo-hoo!

Sentimental gentleman from Georgia: Now this one I had no clue about, so I won’t be in the least surprised to find I got it totally wrong. As I did. No mid-paced track, it’s a high-tempo bluegrass with banjo and double bass. Total fail, as expected. I must say, a terrible song. Terrible.

Wayfaring stranger: Holy crap! This sounds like it IS Strawfoot’s song! It bloody is! AND it’s slow, don’t hear fiddles or banjos --- ooh wait! There’s my fiddle just there. And that could be a banjo. Yeah, I am claiming this as a total success! Gotta take ‘em where you can!

This farm needs a man: And back to Earth with a bang we come! Well not completely. The tempo is wrong; more mid-paced and not bluegrass really, but the lyric is correct. Guitar and pedal steel, yes, fiddle not yet. No I don’t think there’s going to be any, or is that one just at the end? Yes! Woo-hoo!

Make me lonely again: I had no idea what the lyric would be, but it’s a ballad on acoustic guitar and pedal steel, the lyric actually quite clever: “If this is what love is, make me lonely again.” Lovely song. I think I can accept now that there will be no piano on this album. Guess Red Molly don’t use it.

Keep your lamp trimmed and burning: Uptempo as I thought (though it didn’t start that way), kind of gospel in tone, with banjo and guitar though no fiddle yet and I assume no organ. Jew’s harp? Meh. Doubtful but you never know. Lyric was totally wrong though: more a “keep faith in the Lord” type of song, Oh well.

May I suggest: Typical! The first time it’s acapella and I didn’t guess it would be. Also a three-voice acapella. Great closer though, just a pity yiz couldn’t have done this on earlier songs, ladies!

Well in the end I think I did a whole lot better than I had expected to. Tomorrow I’ll post the breakdown of the score and we’ll see how well, or how badly, my attempt turned out.