Music Banter - View Single Post - Psychedelia Album Club
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 AM   #13 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Since you asked for my wisdom, such as it is, here it is.

I would dump the idea of voting for albums. We tried this in the PRAC and it just irritated people and slowed things down. At one point I was told testily: "It's your club, just choose the album." So I would do what we do: each member has a chance to pick an album on alternate weeks --- so say one member picks the album this week, another the next, a third the next and so on till you come back around to the start --- and everyone listens and comments on it. That way, everyone gets a fair shot and there's no arguing over what we should listen to. The member whose turn it is does not have to justify the album he or she picks, and in a big way that's great, because otherwise all you'd get would be positive reviews with everyone choosing their favourite albums that everyone agrees on.

This way, you can end up being "forced" into hearing an album you might not like, might not have heard or might not have thought of giving a chance. Like, for me, that will probably be most albums here but it's an interesting departure from what I usually listen to.

So I'd say confirm the serious members, write up a rotation and get the first member choosing, then the important thing is to keep up the pressure. People may get annoyed and want to opt out, but if so then they weren't that serious in the first place. For any album club to thrive it needs to have constant activity, as I told Wpnfire; his is beginning to lose momentum. You need to remind people "Hey: reviews due in three days" and "Who's next to pick an album?" etc.

You can use the review system, a matrix or just pure discussion if you want. See which suits, or if you want to do something totally different. It's your club, but just take a moment to see how best it can be run, and it should be pretty successful. I would say start right now: pick an album (as founder I'd put you at the top of the list for album selection) tell people to listen to it and meet back in a week or two for discussions.

That's the way I try (or tried, kind of been usurped in my absence! ) to run the PRAC, and mostly it works.