Music Banter - View Single Post - Psychedelia Album Club I - "Incense and Peppermints" - The Strawberry Alarm Clock
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pet_Sounds
Remember the underscore

I think I've already stated that Incense and Peppermints is a favourite of mine. It's a desert island album for sure.
  • The flute, as I've remarked before, is one of the most underused instruments in rock music. I absolutely love the flute playing on here.
  • Lyrically, this is as close to perfection as any album I've heard, especially the opening lines to the title track. They're weird enough to let you escape, but not weird enough to detract from the music.
  • I love the vocals as well, the delivery and tone gives some the album a certain urgency.
  • The organ is also very well-played.
  • As Trollheart already mentioned, most of the songs are quite short, but I find that adds to my enjoyment of the album and creates a constantly-shifting musical landscape.
Standout tracks: Birds in My Tree, Strawberries Mean Love, Incense and Peppermints

Overall, I find that this album manages to be both a great collection of individual songs and a unified whole, which is a rarity. It gets a

9/10