Music Banter - View Single Post - Psychedelia Album Club I - "Incense and Peppermints" - The Strawberry Alarm Clock
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

When I first listened to this album it was the version that they had on Spotify, but looking around on Youtube shows that the Spotify version is untrue to the original. This is unfortunate because it turns out that my favourite track on the album, Sit With the Guru, was actually on Wake Up...It's Tomorrow, but it also means that my least favourite tracks, "Barefoot in Baltimore", "Birdman of Alkatrash", and "Starting Out the Day" aren't actually on this album.

With that said and a proper listen to the record courtesy of Youtube, I think this is a great album. I think my favourite moment on the album is the drum solo from "Lose to Live", great stuff. There's a lot of fantastic organ and flute on here as Pet Sounds mentioned, and the organ is my favourite element of the album, especially with the title track (one of the most notable hippy tracks out there as it's constantly used in flashback scenes and such, it creates an image of the movement whenever I listen to it because of this) and the closer, "Unwind With the Clock". The closer track also has some fantastic marimba (I believe, actually listening closer I think it's a vibraphone) jumping in on the fun. "Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow" is a fantastic track as well, one that's actually served as part of the soundtrack to one of my rainy mushroom days . One thing that somewhat deters from the album, but not to a great degree, is the repetition of the vocals. A lot of the same intervals and melodic lines are used as well as the "oo-oo"s in the background vocals and the "la la la"s prevalent throughout the album. Nothing big, but it's prominent enough to note.

Overall a fantastic album, I was originally going to give it a lower rating based on the Spotify version, but I'm glad that I did a little more research because I would have missed out on some extra tracks that are pretty great too. 8/10

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote