Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Rights Disproving Itself
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #21 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
as for eating animals... to me it is really quite simple. if you believe that kicking a cat is cruel and should be punished yet you buy meat that was raised on factory farms which cause 1000x as much suffering in animals then you are a hypocrite. there is no ethical principle being defended if you arbitrarily decide which animals can legally suffer and the circumstances under which this can happen.
This is a good point; anyone who has ever eaten a breakfast of bacon and eggs is on very shakey moral ground if they condemn the cat kicker.

Spoiler for in case anyone wants a reminder about battery-hen cruelty:

I suppose a distinction can be drawn -and presumably is drawn, legally- between cruelty to animals that serves some purpose and gratuitous cruelty, but morally that´s a rather blurred distinction and probably does little to console the battery hens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankycaaant View Post
Christ,american prisons are already overcrowded, you want to jail someone for kicking a cat?!
^ Quite right! There are plenty of worse evils in society that should be attended to. If I were an American tax payer, I would be upset that my hard-earned tax payments were funding such a frivolous use of the legal system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
And whatever the legal inconsistencies, I'd still be perfectly fine if I found out that he'd had his legs broken with a piece of rebar.
^ Sorry, Batlord, but are you seriously speculating about a guy having both his legs broken? IMO that is ghastly thing to consider and far more cruel than the guy´s original offence. He has been shamed on national tv and in a Musicbanter thread - isn´t that punishment enough?