Music Banter - View Single Post - Animal Rights Disproving Itself
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #41 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
A year? Probably not. Depends on criminal record and context. I knew someone who did I think 3 or 4 months for assaulting a bouncer so it definitely varies. He did the same thing again and got 6mo. I'm not sure how extremely you mean your statement but as a society we certainly can't have people just walking around punching people in the face and getting away with it... ideally.
i'm pointing out the discrepancy between a law protecting humans from harm via other humans which actually serves a useful purpose (promoting civil behavior and cohesion within society) vs a law meant to make people feel good. somehow the cat has better legal protection than a human in this one case yet in almost every other case is treated as a piece of property with no right to govern itself.

Quote:
Perhaps not but that still doesn't mean animate property should be treated exactly the same as inanimate.
once again we're talking about rights and what qualifies an entity for said rights. it's fine to say animals should have rights but the fact is they don't in most of our interactions with them. we only afford certain domesticated pets 'rights' to arbitrarily protect the feelings of their owners and other animal lovers. We aren't serious about giving them rights/autonomy and thus it is hard to take any discussion of their 'rights' seriously imo.

'
Quote:
****ing what? Again, what does this have to do with anything? What point are you trying to make about what's being discussed here? We're talking about the ethical treatment and legal rights of animals, not some vague boring existentialist woe is me bull****.
you're saying nothing here. batlord seemed to get my point, so don't pretend there isn't one. if you choose not to address it that's on you. roll another joint and return to your routine.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote