Music Banter - View Single Post - Electronica & EDM combination album club! ® (Whew!)
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 AM   #158 (permalink)
misspoptart
gimme gimme

Questions

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in (first time)?

Weeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrddddddd. Mostly like I have never heard anything like this in my life, so bizarre. Words actually fail to describe the sounds I am hearing right now.

2. Did your first impressions change, i.e., did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?

My opinion definitely changed and evolved as the album introduced vocals, which are sort of recognizable in the second track but very clear in the third. To be honest, if I wasn't listening to the album for the club, I would have put it down after the rambunctious and kind of overwhelming first track. So cheers. It did seem to "get better" as it went on, developing some more personality and showing different sides of the artist.

3. Which was stronger in your opinion, the opening tracks (first 2-3 songs), or the ending tracks (last 2-3 songs)?

The ending three tracks, no doubt. They are just a lot more deep and layered. "Harlequin" makes a better opener than "Yay."

5. What is your favorite track from the album, if you have one?

"F-U-C-3PO." No, wait, "To Late to Apologize." I'm actually really into the percussion of "The Shapes of Things to Come," too, and it's growing on me.

6. What is your least favorite track from the album, if you have one?

"Yay," the opener. I don't like it, and to make matters worse, it's just so misleading. Also "Crabbing," simply because it's short and I have no idea what it's trying to do or what it means.

7. Did you change your favorite or least favorite track as you listened to the album?

My favorite did. I really couldn't decide, each track seemed to offer something different that the previous one, and I liked them equally but in different ways, making it hard to choose a favorite. My least favorite never changed, I consistently fell back on the first track as the lowest standard when comparing tracks to each other.

8. How would you describe the variety of tracks available on this album? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.

I think there is a healthy variety of weird/melodic/noisy/unpredictable tracks. You never know what you're going to get with the next track, and I think that is a positive thing.

9. What is the overall mood on this album?

Scattered and chaotic. A kind of disheveled energy that is channeled through lots of different mediums.

10. Is this an album you would listen to again all the way through (for personal, recreational use, outside of listening to it for this club), or are there just a few songs that you would listen to?

I probably wouldn't listen to it in either way, it's just too noisy and disorganized(?) for me actually.

11. How well do you already know the band/artist?

Had never heard of Zammuto.

13. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?

Not really, it has its own exotic and curious flavor. It's cohesive and totally works. I would mention that the opening track isn't really a true intro to this album for me, since it kind of alienates the listener and doesn't prepare you for vocal work actually.

14. Would you recommend this album to others?

Hmm, probably not. It seems like something pretty specific and acquired taste and I just don't if anyone I know would be into it.

15. Are you interested in listening to more albums by this band?

No, not really. I did check out "Idiom Wind" though, since someone mentioned it in the comments on youtube.

16. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?

IDM?

17. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?

There were lots of different vocalists I think. The vocals for "F-U-C3PO," "Weird Calling," and "Harlequin" were memorable. Don't have much to say about the vocals on other tracks.

18. Your overall album rating on a scale of 1-10?

20. Any other thoughts you had about this album you would like to share?

How do you guys find this weird ****? Also, the album is driving my cat CRAZY. She literally has not stopped pacing/running around since I started playing it. Can't tell if that means she likes it or hates it.

Last edited by misspoptart; 11-02-2014 at 04:31 AM.
misspoptart is offline   Reply With Quote