Music Banter - View Single Post - Electronica & EDM combination album club! ® (Whew!)
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #159 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in (first time)?
My first impression was that this quirky pop music reminded me a bit of Cornelius with more of a krautrock influence—certainly reference points that made me want to keep listening.

2. Did your first impressions change, i.e., did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
I continued to like it, but my impression changed in the sense that I realized it wasn't that similar to Cornelius and I started comparing it more to Battles.

3. Which was stronger in your opinion, the opening tracks (first 2-3 songs), or the ending tracks (last 2-3 songs)?
Opening tracks. The first two songs might be my favorite on the entire album.

4. On repeated listens (if you did so), did you find you liked the album more, or less? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.
I'd say I like it about the same.

5. What is your favorite track from the album, if you have one?
Probably "Groan Man, Don't Cry".

6. What is your least favorite track from the album, if you have one?
"Full Fading".

7. Did you change your favorite or least favorite track as you listened to the album?
Not really.

8. How would you describe the variety of tracks available on this album? Feel free to be very detailed if you like.
Some variety but it definitely has a cohesive sound.

9. What is the overall mood on this album?
Earthy, yet quirky.

10. Is this an album you would listen to again all the way through (for personal, recreational use, outside of listening to it for this club), or are there just a few songs that you would listen to?
I'd definitely listen to it again (I've listened two and a half times at this point). I could see it being an album where I only listen to certain tracks though.

11. How well do you already know the band/artist?
Not well. I had never heard of this project before, though I'm somewhat familiar with The Books.

12. If you are familiar with this band/artist, how would you compare this album to any of their earlier/later material?
n/a

13. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?
I think the album would be better if there were either less vocals or if the vocals were less rooted in pop songwriting. This album really seems like it wants to be more experimental but the vocals kind of hold it back. It's like he wants to have the hypnotic Brian Eno thing going on but he's not able to make the vocals interesting enough to be immersive. I would have preferred even more emphasis on both the guitar and the percussion since I think he's fantastic on both those fronts.

14. Would you recommend this album to others?
Sure. I did earlier today in fact.

15. Are you interested in listening to more albums by this band?
Definitely!

16. What sub-genre, if any, would you assign this music to?
Indietronica? Or maybe post-rock? Not in the contemporary sense, more in the Trans Am/Slint sense.

17. (NOTE: Ignore this question if the album does not have lyrics.) Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?
As I mentioned above, I'm not really a fan of vocals. I think the album would be better if it leaned in a more instrumental direction.

18. Your overall album rating on a scale of 1-10

19. What do you think of the production?
I like it. It has a rootsy vibe in a weird way.

20. Any other thoughts you had about this album you would like to share?
I think it's a pretty good album but I think he's capable of making a great album. I'd love to hear that.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote