Music Banter - View Single Post - Turns out modern pop music does really suck!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 06:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
Art is different. Art shouldn't be looked at mathematically. Arguments need evidence but when it comes to what moves people the most, the cold and calculating approach is ridiculous.
I understand your argument but music has often been open to scientific critique over the years, take Theodore Adorno for instance.

If I had come on here with a post declaring that modern pop music is $hit without providing any scientific evidence, I would have been shot down quite quickly, because it simply would have been viewed as a ranting opinion.

I personally believe that rise of sampling and arpeggios in music has led to a decline in the creativity of pop music. To me its a serious problem when artists are getting signed who cannot write their own musical compositions, which is why were hearing more and more redundant rhythms and beats.

In short Cyndi Lauper and Lady Gaga can compose and play their own music, Rihanna and Britney Spears cannot. It makes a world of difference to me when I listen to their songs.