Music Banter - View Single Post - Russian Music
Thread: Russian Music
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
grindy

This thread needs to be seriously bumped, so here are some artists I'd recommend.

AuktYon were already featured, but there have to be some live videos.
Those guys rock so hard.

Here's one with the great Marc Ribot

Vezhlivyj Otkaz play some jazzy, recently even somewhat avant-proggish music, but still very song-oriented.

Let's move on to some dirtier stuff. Grazhdanskaya Oborona might be considered punk. I'm not a big fan of punk, but I enjoy GO's lo-fi sound and Sergei Letov's emotional singing style.

And back to the mainstream, here's Nautilus Pompilius with a nice acoustic version of one of their hits.

Sergej Kurehin was an incredibly talented and versatile musician. As well as a virtuoso pianist, he was a composer (often for films) and organizer of huge musical happenings, featuring dozens of musicians of different backgrounds playing together and mixing music with absurdist theatre. He was an actor as well and made a famous mockumentary parodying conspiracy theories, where he "proved" that Lenin was a mushroom.

Here's a beautiful piece from the movie "Mister Designer" and a solo piano improvisation, mixing classical quotes with more modern forms.