Music Banter - View Single Post - What Concerts Are You Going To In The Next Few Months
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #3531 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Pallbearer were fantastic, probably the heaviest performance I've ever heard, probably damaged the structural integrity of the venue. Quite a lengthy soundcheck relative to most bands, noticeably extended breaks between songs for adjustments and tuning, very meticulous tweaking, making an effort to adjust for the size and shape of the venue. And you have to do that, playing music that massive, the sound was monstrously thick but still very clear. Ended up retreating from the front of the stage to the center of the room halfway through their set so I could fully soak it all in. Frontman / lead guitarist Brett played a Fender Telecaster that I haven't seen him with before and his leads just soared through the mix, his vocals too, which have greatly improved over the length of this North American tour. The set felt like a lifetime, exceeding an hour and a half after the 2 encores the crowd demanded, a lifetime of thick, fuzzy, spatial, loud cosmic bass bliss. Pallbearer tracks are massive stories, often exceeding 10 minutes, and they played many tracks from both their incredible new album and their older releases. They seemed quite surprised by the enthusiasm in the audience and jokingly warned us before their encore that "we asked for it", knowing that it would extend the set for another half an hour. The room was very attentive throughout, most of the crowd standing firmly in place like stone monoliths, no doubt to brace ourselves from the impact of the low end threatening to send us flying out a window. I'm quite glad that Vancouver showed them this level of support, I was worried that the show would be quite barren. I'm confident that Pallbearer were as grateful towards us as we were to them for that show and I can't wait for them to return. They're in Seattle tonight and still have 7 more shows left across the US on this tour, I highly recommend anyone who has a chance to go ought to, it's cheap and it's a hell of a musical experience if you're into psychedelic doom stricken sludge. I left that show feeling like I was wearing a 50 pound wool suit, my guts buzzing the entire way home.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.

Last edited by EPOCH6; 12-11-2014 at 11:13 AM.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote