Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter Members' Journals Monthly Update Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2014, 05:17 AM   #456 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
If I subscribed to that logic (being an expert on a subject before writing about it) I shouldn't really post about anything at all. I don't know much about the genres or bands I post. It's because I haven't thoroughly explored a genre or if it is about a band there's very little information about them. It would be great to have a bunch of background information but it still comes down whether you like the band's music/album or not. Sometimes I feel a waiter at a gala of the rich and famous except I am posting on a music board with a bunch of experts.

If any one could write a worthwhile Prog Journal, it would be Paul. I think he would do a decent job (if he had the time and inclination to do it) since he saw some those bands live.
I see where US is coming from though. Batty could write a great extreme metal journal, as he's very well versed in that subgenre. Pet_Sounds does a great folk journal, and if anyone could do a prog journal I would think it would be Ant, or Big Ears, who is now gone. I could have tried, but though Prog is my first love, there are bands --- big bands like ELP, Yes and Camel --- that I either don't like or don't know enough about. I think what US is saying is that to write a journal of "Pounding Decibels" depth, you need to have a very intimate knowledge of ALL the bands, big and small, who make or made up your chosen genre. If you're not fully confident that you know your subject it's difficult to start writing a history of it. You also need to know all the details behind both the bands and the music scene at the time, something US is almost unparalleled in in his journal.