Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 30 (ish) Favorite Albums Of 2014
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

^ That is pretty kickass, man. Thanks for the recommendation!

8. Adrian Bourgeois - Pop/Art

Put On A Playlist With: Todd Rundgren, Elliott Smith, Jellyfish, Brian Wilson, Rufus Wainwright

Easily the most ambitious double album in the singer-songwriter mold I've seen in many years, Adrian Bourgeois is one of those prodigies who is a complete unknown to most people unless you live in Sacramento or are really into power pop (I'm in the latter category).

But to summarize why this is in my top ten: take the best elements of weird country ('Waterfalls', 'Pictures Of Incense'), razorblade power pop ('Time Can't Fly A Plane', 'Shot In The Dark', 'Sunflower') and a yummy, experimental approach to composition and production not too far off the beaten path of guys like Rundgren or perhaps Phil Spector ('Celebrate The News', 'Still Life') and you'll see why its easy to dig into this guy's eclectic approach to songcraft. Its as DIY and organic as it gets, and Adrian is a painstaking perfectionist in studio: he brought in plenty of guest musicians on a variety of instruments to bring this massive record to life and flesh it out into something rather special.

Enough rambling though: check the album out yourselves via this Bandcamp page and enjoy the music at your leisure. Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote