Music Banter - View Single Post - The Music Banter Members' Journals Monthly Update Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #540 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

And finally...

Sometimes it's not how much is written (take note, Trollheart!) but what is written. To quote the Urban One again, quality over quantity. Which is why I miss
http://www.musicbanter.com/members-j...c-journal.html
She didn't write a huge amount but what she did write she put her heart and soul into, and you could see it meant a lot to her. Here's a sample:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomer View Post
Sparked by a short conversation I had with a fellow MBer today, I'd thought I'd create this post.

During the 1960s both of my parents lived in Swinging London and as such, adopted quite an attitude of optimism, hedonism, and cultural revolution that they pretty much traipsed through the rest of my childhood. (Don't get me wrong, it was not always the best, especially when they insisted you wear hand-made clothes to school and sent you to camp with a crocheted nana square blanket). I was only but a twinkle in my parents' eyes in the sixties but boy do I love daydreaming of what it would be like to be alive during this time. The counterculture, the revolution in social norms regarding clothing, music, drugs, dress, formalities and schooling. A decade of irresponsible excess, flamboyance, and decay of social order. How marvelous.

A recent almost "revival" of this culture seems to be cropping up around me in various forms lately, and so I've been inspired to share with you some of my favourite snippets of music from this time (and hopefully not just the typical response that you'd expect from some kinda of try-hard imposter such as myself). This may take a few journal entries, and for this first entry, I might focus a little more on the soul-esque tunes that I dig and then move onto other niblets of music that I enjoy. So let's jump right in - sha na boom boom yeah!

1. Diana Ross & The Supremes
I love that the Supremes brought to the Motown scene a delicacy that beforehand had only ever began to sneak out occasionally in female soul artists at the time. Here's what is said about them in 'The Supremes on Show':

2. Joe Tex, 'Show Me'

I love this song, even more so, I love Emma Birdsall's cover of it that I posted earlier.

3. The Staple Singers, 'Heavy Makes You Happy'

How can you not love this one?! It makes me just want to put on a mini skirt and knee-high boots and boogie it out in a local.

4. Bobbie Gentry
Ah, Bobbie Gentry. What a beautiful woman! Her voice I adore, and can easily see how modern artists (such as the lovely Emma Birdsall, featured earlier) draw inspiration from artists such as Gentry. One of the first country artists to record and compose her own material, her songs have classically autobiographic influences. I love this one:

And now moving away from the soul work a little...

5. Russell Morris
And finally, how could I not include an Australian artist on this first installation of my list? And how could it not be Russell Morris? Obviously, 'The Real Thing' is the most notable song to discuss here. Personally, I consider it to be one of the best psychedelic rock singles produced in the 1960s. It came about thanks to a plethora of well-known Australian musical artists and producers such as Molly Meldrum, Johnny Young and John Sayers.

Well, it's time for dinner now, but my sixties journey has only just begun so stay tuned for the next edition!
Come on Astronomically Lovely One! It's time to get up off that perfectly-formed behind of yours and get writing again. Please? Or, you know, not. But we'd all like to see you back among the ranks of the living...

That brings to a close the first update of the new year. I'm currently working, as I say, on 2014's The Year in Review in Journals, so hopefully I'll have that in a few weeks for you. Menwhile, keep writing and having ideas, and remember, if you want to be creative here, this is the place to do it.

Till next week,
Toodles!