Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #227 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
see that's sorta a chicken and egg type claim to me that i'm really not on board with. you say it all started from antagonism, i feel really it's just as valid to say it started with the extremists being unable to handle criticism in the first place. that actually spurs on the antagonism and gives people like me more incentive to be antagonistic. because what we're talking about here is conflicting ideals. their ideal that is sacrosanct is respect for the prophet and respect for islam. my ideal which is sacrosanct is freedom to criticize anything. i won't budge any sooner than they will.
It didn't start with "extremists being unable to handle criticism". It started thousands of years ago, with people being intolerant towards cultures that were different from their own, creating feuds that exist to this day. Try growing up in Israel or the Gaza Strip, where both sides launch missiles at each other on a monthly basis. Try watching your family blown to pieces in front of your eyes, and not feeling a seething hatred towards the people you blame for their demise. Try growing up in an area that has virtually no economy, because crazy dictators have smashed everything to pieces in order to fill their pockets. This is a complicated problem that has existed for longer than you realize, and guess what? People have tried to solve it with violence. They have tried this approach for thousands of years, and it has only made things worse. So let's drop the "us versus them" mentality, and finally admit that all of humanity shares this bed called earth, so it isn't wise for us to keep crapping in it.
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote