Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 02:46 PM   #390 (permalink)
EPOCH6
V8s & 12 Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Mortem View Post
Hey all, I just came across 16 Horsepower yesterday and I'm really, REALLY diggin it. Very excited to be delving into the general area of Americana/Country! It seems to be the one broad genre of music I haven't found much enjoyment in and this amazing band has changed my mind.

Not very familiar with it overall... but I'm looking for the whole, 'dark and insane' tortured vibe that 16 Horsepower seems to have. I also like that their songs I've heard so far (the whole Sackcloth 'N Ashes album) tend to have a slower, almost avant garde tempo instead of the upbeat or country romance sort of mechanics that I've come to associate with most country music. 'Black Soul Choir' by 16 HP is what I'm lookin for more of in a nutshell.

I did check out some of the artists here. I'm easily turned off by vocalists I don't like, and a lot of these have too soft or upbeat of a voice for me, despite excellent instrumentals. I need deep and gravelly, or tortured, nothing soft and pretty. Hellblinki Sextet and Soda Gardocki were pretty cool of what I heard. Any other recs similar to those?

Edit: Just for clarification. Hated Elliot Brood, O Death, The Handsome Family, Vagabond Opera, and Circus Contraption, mainly because of vocals.
I've been dragging myself through this thread lately with the exact same dilemma, I'm absolutely in love with 16 Horsepower but can't seem to find anything else in the genre that comes close. I don't have speakers or headphones available at the moment so I can't check out this last page but have you come across anything yet? Looking for pretty much what you've described above, I too wasn't satisfied with Elliot Brood, O Death, The Handsome Family, Vagabond Opera, and Circus Contraption etc.
There's 3 reason why the Rolling Stones are better. I'm going to list them here. 1. Jimi Hendrix from Rolling Stones was a better guitarist then Jimmy Page 2. The bassist from Rolling Stones isn't dead 3. Rolling Stobes wrote Stairway to Heaven and The Ocean so we all know they are superior here.
EPOCH6 is offline   Reply With Quote