Music Banter - View Single Post - The French Massacre - Do We Stand Up For Free Speech?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #450 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Still agreeing with JWB, since, no matter how racist and incendiary the cartoons, when they get published, the idea of killing over them is absurd, and anyone who would do it, not only needs to be brought to justice, but their ideology needs to be scrutinized in a public forum. Doing so would naturally inflame extreme Islamists even further, leading to greater violence, but I see that as a necessary evil when faced with a threat on Western ideals of freedom of speech. And considering the level of Arab immigration to Europe, I imagine that same influence that allows extremists in the Middle-East to exert control over moderate Muslims might start to come into effect if the populations reach a certain point. So there might actually be a threat to freedom of speech somewhere down the line. I say this as an American who isn't as up on European politics and news as his Old World brothers, but that's just how it seems to me.

But I also saw a Facebook thing posted by a friend on a forum that pointed out something I was previously unaware of.

Tens of thousands of Muslims flee Christian militias in Central African Republic - The Washington Post

I don't know how much news coverage it gets, but considering how much publicity the Paris thing is getting, versus the outcry over this, then I think that there's definitely a double standard, either A.) of media coverage concentrating on Muslim-on-Christian violence over Christian-on-Muslim violence, or B.) of media coverage concentrating on first world violence versus third-world violence (or at least what is perceived as third-world).

There certainly isn't such an issue with world-wide Christian terror groups, or "home grown" Christian terrorists at the level as home grown Islamist terrorists, but there are certainly extreme Christians in parts of the world with enough numbers to cause things like this who need to be called out on their religious bull**** in a more public way.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote