Music Banter - View Single Post - Free Will - an illusion?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
I pretty much agree with all of these statements.

Well, randomness might exist, some argue, at the quantum level (which may be the case) and proponents of "Quantum Consciousness" (which I personally don't buy, especially with one of the author's peddling it under spirituality language) will argue that QM is free will's last chance or whatever. Most neuroscientists assume the brain is basically a classical object. Most quantum physicists don't buy Penrose's OR-Orch (which is basically highly speculative QM theory based around justifying consciousness as a QM process).

But, I'd think that randomness would be even more useless to free will, anyway. How can an organism ever build memories or use them in a consistent way if they are random? I suppose though, that free will would appear as random to us until we asked the subject why it made that decision.
This is why I consider myself a Secular Calvinist.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote