Music Banter - View Single Post - What is/was your favourite PHYSICAL music shop or store?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 03:58 AM   #35 (permalink)
JennyOndioline
Music Addict

Easy Street Records' Queen Anne location in Seattle. Massive vinyl and CD selection (mostly used) and several listening stations for both formats. I would spend hours in there on a weekly basis listening to random albums and poring over the clearance racks. After making a stack of 6-10 cheap albums I'd move to the more expensive stuff, but even vinyl editions of LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver or Sufjan Stevens' Illinois were like $13.

Coming off their most profitable year in over a decade, the landlord refused to let them renew their lease and booted them in favor of a mother****ing Chase bank. Luckily, they went out in style. During the final night of their massive closing sale, Yo La Tengo played for free in-store, and after the show employees were passing out free beers to people still browsing. I spent about $60 on this haul:

Silversun Pickups - Pikul EP (12")
Radical Face - Ghost (Clear LP)
Stagnant Pools - Temporary Room (LP)
The Beatles - Revolver (LP)
Yo La Tengo - Fade (CD)
Doves - The Last Broadcast (CD)
The 88 - S/T (CD)
Bis - Intendo (CD)
The Weakerthans - Left & Leaving (CD)
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist (CD)
Everything Is Nice: The Matador Records 10th Anniversary Anthology (3CD)
DFA Compilation #2 (3CD)
Erin McKeown - We Will Become Like Birds (CD)
Yo La Tengo Poster
Easy Street Records T-Shirt

And I swiped that "ELECTRONIC" sign from the racks that they were breaking down and tossing in the dumpsters.

It was a beautiful place and I'm still bitter that it's gone. Still haven't found a replacement for it.