Music Banter - View Single Post - What is/was your favourite PHYSICAL music shop or store?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 01:36 PM   #38 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyOndioline View Post
Easy Street Records' Queen Anne location in Seattle. Massive vinyl and CD selection (mostly used) and several listening stations for both formats. I would spend hours in there on a weekly basis listening to random albums and poring over the clearance racks. After making a stack of 6-10 cheap albums I'd move to the more expensive stuff, but even vinyl editions of LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver or Sufjan Stevens' Illinois were like $13.

Coming off their most profitable year in over a decade, the landlord refused to let them renew their lease and booted them in favor of a mother****ing Chase bank. Luckily, they went out in style. During the final night of their massive closing sale, Yo La Tengo played for free in-store, and after the show employees were passing out free beers to people still browsing.

And I swiped that "ELECTRONIC" sign from the racks that they were breaking down and tossing in the dumpsters.

It was a beautiful place and I'm still bitter that it's gone. Still haven't found a replacement for it.
I really miss that location, it was my favorite record store in Seattle and an anchor for that neighborhood. Nothing draws me there anymore. Even Silver Platters moved. The West Seattle Easy Street is alright but it's just more crammed. Definitely more convenient to my current residence though.