Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #497 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Fast running out of time here, as March draws to a close, so we're probably going to have one of these every day now in order to get them all in. We're now up to number

as we return to the movies. There's something very different, and yet familiar about this theme, imbued as it is with a sort of fantasy/fairytale motif, which is fitting considering the movie concerns the resurrection of one of Star Trek's most popular characters in a mystical, non-scientific way. As I mentioned in the review of the movie, it's odd that of all people the Vulcans believe this, being so logical and dedicated to clear thinking and cold hard facts, with little or no room for sentiment. You would think they would be the last race to believe in a soul, but there you go. At any rate, the theme for the movie, while retaining some elements from the previous one, builds its own identity and certainly pulls at the heartstrings, for me anyway. It's not as punchy as many of the others, but you can clearly identify it as a Star Trek theme, unlike that of the fourth movie, which just sounded like it could have been for any film.

James Horner returned to score his second Star Trek movie, and in my opinion did an amazing job with it. I would put his work above and beyond Goldsmith's, although I can't elevate him about Courage's; after all, that was the original theme. But as a continuation of the elements explored in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, and a movie score in its own right, this one is well up there with the best of them.