Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #508 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Well what else would we have at number

after all? To be fair, I considered and weighed up the last two when it came time to choose, and though one had the edge in terms of legacy and respect, I just felt there was one I liked better overall. This of course, is the first and original theme.

It always surprised me how this was chosen as the theme for the new show. We all know it to hear now and associate it with Star Trek, especially the spacey, synthy opening, but really, when you listen to it, it is nothing like you'd expect from a sci-fi series. The boppy, bossa-nova beat. The woman singing operatically one later seasons. The triumphant flourish at the end. None of these musical signatures speak to me of space, starships or aliens. And yet, now we would expect nothing else to be its theme. Somehow, it's got in on our collective consciousness, and like the theme to Match of the Day, it's the music we identify with the show.

It's so ingrained in Star Trek in fact that the followup series, to say nothing of several movies, all use at least its opening bars to introduce their own themes. It will always be iconic, it will always be familiar and it will, always and forever, be the music that announced to us as kids that Star Trek was on.

I wonder if Alexander Courage still receives royalties?