Music Banter - View Single Post - Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #26 (permalink)
Goofle
the worst guy

Wesley's Theory: 4* - Great intro. Funky, up-beat and Kendrick is doing his thing. Some G-Funk tinges thrown in to great effect. Love this song.

For Free? (Interlude): 2* - Jazzy as fuck, super promising. But then some girl starts being annoying. Then Kendrick starts being annoying. Where's that instrumental version? But to be fair, Kendrick does attempt to rap at points which is nice. But yeah, why ruin a great instrumental with this nonsense?

King Kunta: 4.5* - Calvin Harris inspired bass line works well. Love the gradual build of the song. It doesn't feel forced, and Kendrick compliments that build well with greater intensity. Just great from start to finish.

Institutionalized: 2* - Nice change of pace, I thought. The problem is it doesn't really go anywhere. Snoop's parts were fine because, well, it's Snoop. But nothing else about this track is interesting. Just a really long interlude as far as I can tell.

These Walls: 2.5* - Whoever did the Prince impression deserves a pat on the back. As for the rest of the track, I have an overwhelming sense of "meh". It's not funky enough, and Kendrick himself does very little to engage me.

u: 2.5* - Again, some pretty good jazzy production. I also get the sense that Kendrick has complications in the love department. I think he mentioned it but maybe it's just one of those deeper meanings things. Some drunk guy ruins what was a pretty average song in the first place.

Alright: 2.5* - Good start to the track. Kendrick starts "going off" I suppose, and occasionally spits with a little more venom. But in line with the majority of the album so far, it kinda tails off and doesn't really develop into much of anything.

For Sale? (Interlude): 2* - I really dislike Kendrick's voice on this one. I don't understand what he is going for. Quit saying "Lushee", for the love of god. Completely boring interlude, regardless of whatever significant story is apparently being told.

Momma: 2.5* - Kendrick starts rapping, which is a blatant cock tease as far as I am concerned. Underwhelming production, especially in the context of this album, which is pretty stellar in that regard overall. And another meh track. Though the end section would have made for a listenable "interlude".

Hood Politics: 2* - Fuck "boo boo". Just fuck it. Another track that goes nowhere and doesn't engage me in any way, besides my festering annoyance. Boring.

How Much A Dollar Cost: 3* - Praise the lord. The run of mostly boring tracks somewhat comes to a halt here. Kendrick isn't the most talented rapper in the world but he can be great when he gets into it. And I can't complain too much about this track, despite not blowing me away. The production really was a bit of a let down though.

Complexion: 2.5* - Another song that just kind of exists. Yay, smooth production. But... what's it doing? Rapsody's verse/beat change is the only interesting part of this song.

The Blacker The Berry: 4* - When I listen to this album, it's genuinely quite a struggle to get to this point without skipping pretty much every song after King Kunta. But damn, can you blame me? Refreshing change in production and attitude from Mr. Lamar. He's showing personality, anger and getting you pumped. I'm glad I didn't listen to this before the album came out, because it wouldn't have been as much of a pick me up.

You Ain't Gotta Lie (Momma Said): 3* - Not really digging the voice at the start of this. And the production isn't anything to shout about. Not a bad track but another example of Kendrick just not doing enough to entertain me on this project.

i: 4.5* - I really liked the studio version of this song, and it filled me with so much hope and expectation for this project. I wanted Kendrick to fully embrace pop influences. Make me wanna dance to his music, make me feel good to be a fan of his music again. Put a smile on my face and potentially get on the radio station I listen to at work, because god knows it could use some up-beat Kendrick. Sadly that hope was misplaced and I only came away with two songs that arguably fit into that category. Regardless, this live version is also my shit.

Mortal Man: 1.5* - The first half of this is pretty good. I'd have been very happy had it closed out the album. Sadly, we got something else. I remember looking at the 12 minutes and thinking "Oh dear, how is he going to ruin it this time?". Then I hear fucking 2Pac. No disrespect to the man, but jesus christ. I don't wanna hear it. I don't care.

Overall: 3* - If any of you took any notice of my thoughts on this album before this point you would have known that I was not the biggest fan. And it remains the same after many listens. You will have also gathered that I don't give a solitary monkey fart about the message. It doesn't relate to me, and I think his message is put across in such a convoluted fashion that it doesn't even really translate all that well when you are purposefully listening to what he's actually saying. Not a fan, and I suggest a more up-beat approach next time round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote