Music Banter - View Single Post - Metallica's The Black Album
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #42 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
They were definitely all about living the rock'n'roll lifestyle from the get go, but their first two album definitely from the heart. They made **** off their first album. They didn't even have a record deal and had to release it on their own label. And a large majority of bands are as much about the dream of sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll. It's not selling out, it's just fantasy.
See my point though, instead of picking it apart for its flaws haha, geez Batty.

I know all about Motley and their history. I was insanely obsessed as a kid with them. You get older though, develop a sense of taste, and you realize things most times about bands you loved in younger days that sort of disappoint you. When I became aware of what selling out was, a lot of what I learned, Motley did. I should have stopped listening, because I usually write bands off that sell out (Bush, ahem, I digress though...)

It's the allure of sex, the drugs, the fame, the stories. We know all about that, and we know bands are largely about that, a majority as you said. Call it a fantasy, that's fine. But making the music all about it instead of making music that is something more is different.