Music Banter - View Single Post - 2016 Presidential Race Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #229 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
and i see this **** on both sides. so it's not just a matter of not wanting to vote... it's the fact that if you are voting/taking a vested interest in which party succeeds over the other, you are expected to take a sort of active interest in partisan politics and keeping yourself informed on whatever the current debates are. and yet the current debates to me are so polarized, toxic, non-engaging and tribal in nature that i would really prefer to steer clear of them for the most part.

i have an interest in politics because i have an interest in civilization. i think it's interesting to ponder ways in which a civilization can organize itself and tackle problems. but inevitably, it seems, in this country anyway, whenever people try to take that and apply it to a political movement or campaign it just once again devolves into an us-vs-them scenario, where it's all about scoring points more than it is about obtaining actual results. and that's just a bit distasteful to me. so i rather not fund their careers and lend my ideological support to them since that is how they insist on behaving. i'll just let them do what they do and worry about myself.
Definitely this. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but if I start really engaging in politics, then eventually I am going to take one side over the other, and then I'm going to start identifying with that side and demonizing the other, and then I'm going to be just as annoying, and just as much a part of the problem as the people I can't stand now. I'd rather be an apathetic non-voter than one of those people.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote