Music Banter - View Single Post - What You Wish Pop Sounded Like
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2015, 03:46 AM   #31 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That may be true in the pop realm, I honestly don't follow much so I'm not sure how much water that statement holds. I just know that there are so many current electronic artists that would be a better alternative to the pop that I have heard than most current non-electronic artists. 'Just twiddling with knobs' is harder than a lot of people give credit for. I'm a musician, and making something using samples and effects is something that I've tried and failed at many times.

Dissenting against a style or group of artists in popular music is one thing, but when you go about making the argument about the instrumentation and composition instead of the music itself is where you start to lose me.

As much as I love electronic music, there are great limitations on one's artistic creativity if they have to rely on sampling someone else's music, as opposed to creating their own.

If I play a brass or string instrument (Saxophone, guitar ect) I can go anywhere I want on the musical scale. I can make any arrangement of chords I want, to convey the feeling I'm going after.

If I'm relying on my sampler or the arpeggio in my synthesizer than I'm really limited on what I can do. I can sample a beat from another artist and loope it, but normally I can't make a chorus or a bridge. I'm creatively restricted.

If your say Portishead, and in addition to sampling you can compose your own songs and play instruments than you get the best of both worlds, but if your just your standard trance or house dj, chances are that the majority of your work is going to sound pretty boring & monotonous
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote