Music Banter - View Single Post - U.S. Supreme Court legalizes nationwide gay marriage
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #276 (permalink)
Josef K
A Jew on a motorbike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtwhtgrvty View Post

Because that's who my entire point was directed at???
Big picture though, I feel like you're making two contradictory arguments. First you say, essentially, that you're bombarded with anti-gay prejudice all the time - which I absolutely believe - and you need to be free from hateful stuff that triggers you when you're here, even if said hateful stuff is being quoted disapprovingly. Okay, great. There's another conversation we could probably have about that but I don't disagree strongly enough to argue with you.

But then things start to get complicated, because you say that Chula's quoting of Ted Cruz saying hateful stuff is perpetuating homophobia. This is an issue because if you're already so acutely aware of how much homophobia there is offline in the real world, or in other places online, or whatever, how is Chula "perpetuating anti-gay commentary"? From what you've posted, it seems like anti-gay commentary is already pretty perpetual for you. Why does Chula saying that he doesn't approve of a specific instance of anti-gay rhetoric make you so uncomfortable?

I also don't get this point in general. If another gay person were to post that same Ted Cruz quote and say "ugh, go away Cruz", would you still object? Of course I believe that the same thing can be acceptable or not depending on who says it, BUT I don't understand why, here specifically, a straight person saying Cruz is wrong is perpetuating homophobia but a gay person doing it isn't, since the emphasis from your perspective seems to be on the quoting itself and not the disagreement with the quote.
Josef K is offline   Reply With Quote