Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #40 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

1. I don't know why I put the Stooges self-titled album in blues rock, as Funhouse is both better and more bluesy. Definitely should be replaced. I'd put The Stooges somewhere in garage rock. Don't know what I'd take off though, since I've forgotten about half of those bands.

2. Is alternative rock even a useful genre descriptor? It's more an umbrella term. Indie rock too, but at least there's a stereotype for what it sounds like. Alt rock is just useless.

Quote:
Grunge

1. Nirvana - Nevermind
2. Pearl Jam - Ten
3. Melvins - Houdini
4. Soundgarden - Superunkown
5. Stone Temple Pilots - Purple
6. Screaming Trees - Dust
7. Alice In Chains - Dirt
8. Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
9. Babes in Toyland - Fontanelle
10. Mudhoney - Superfuzz Bigmuff
A lot of what passed for grunge back in the day was just some form of alt rock that may or may not have been from Seattle. Grunge rock was really just slow-to-mid-paced down hardcore, heavy on the distortion (Nirvana, Tad, early Soundgarden, Melvins, Mudhoney).

Pearl Jam were a band formed by two ex-grunge band members who didn't want to play grunge anymore and just wanted to indulge their hard-on for classic rock. If anything, I'd actually call them a post-grunge band: they were moving past grunge, and they share FAR more musically in common with post-grunge bands than actual grunge ones. Same with Stone Temple Pilots. Not to mention Temple of the Dog.

I'm not going to argue with Soundgarden and Screaming Trees, since they were actual grunge bands, even if by Superunknown and Dust they were pretty much past or moving past that sound.

You also need to add Tad's 8-Way Santa. Considering how much you need to drop, that shouldn't be a problem, but if you insist on ignoring my vast wisdom, then I'd drop Temple of the Dog like a bad habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
When Metal Album Survivor is done, or before somebody else comes to me with a list, which could happen any time. If you start on it now, you should be good.
I started that thread in January and we've only covered half of the genres (literally 10 out of 20). I try to do 2 days per round, making a 10 album battle last 20 days at least. So it's going to go on well into next year, even if I shorten a few of the battles. And then of course there will be the final battle between all of the winning albums...
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote