Music Banter - View Single Post - Why/How is art rock pretentious?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
RoxyRollah
Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
The way I see it, when someone (whether it be the artist, fans, and/or critics) calls something "art rock" it often comes across as a self-conscious and egotistical attempt to distance the music from mainstream "non-arty" music. I mean, there isn't a genre of art called "art painting". It's just art. Music is likewise just art -- even though a lot of people don't think of it that way -- and the kind of people who would use the term "art rock" are aware of this, so their using it just seems redundant and desperate.

That is not at all a criticism of the music itself of course, or even the tastes and opinions of people who call something "art rock", just my general impression of why they and the genre are seen as pretentious. It's not like I care about doing away with the term, and I use it myself, as it is a recognized genre name that describes certain bands who might otherwise be hard to categorize (not that "art rock" is a particularly useful description of a band's sound, but it's better than nothing).
Your last record sucked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote