Music Banter - View Single Post - Are you religious?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #486 (permalink)
Hip-Hop Homework
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Really? Merriam-Webster defines religion as "the belief in a god or in a group of gods". How does that square with your contention that atheism is a religion?
The merriam-webster copyright expired some years ago so it's no longer the authority it once was as now anybody can print a dictionary flying under that banner; I haven't taken the time to understand how this might impact their website and its sources but I seldom use it. I find its definitions tend to be somewhat dated compared to dictionary.com's.

I prefer dictionary.com as it maintains its library of definitions quite well and I believe is a credible, authoritative source.

let's see what they have to say...

noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects:
the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices:
a world council of religions.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.:
to enter religion.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience:
to make a religion of fighting prejudice.

The way I see it, Iunno aboutchu, atheism fits the bill for 4/6 of the nuanced definitions. As you can see, when you consider the word as a whole, and you don't have to but I would...I don't think there's any point of contention that atheism isn't a religion. The million-dollar question is how to objectively prove atheists adhere to a specific set of beliefs or practices but I just observe the same practice atheists use for observers of other religions--personal experience. However, I acknowledge that even within a community you will not find the uniform mentality, behavior, or adherence many people would have us believe by making statements with sweeping generalizations, or painting with broad strokes if you will.

I raise the argument that atheism is a religion because many atheists/agnostics contend Christians (few are honest enough to acknowledge exception) are the same, as though that somehow allows for an objective observation knowing fully-well people vary on a case-by-case basis, at the biological level no less and all the more when it comes to creeds and ethics, even within a culture. So to say a people or a culture are all a certain way with no deviation is kinda foolish to me and doesn't stand up to logical inquiry when it comes to definition. Atheists are supposed to be champions of empirical evidence yet somehow I find that lacking in many of the suppositions you'll find in atheists dogma. It's more of a religion than you might have ever paused to acknowledge and I don't claim that to provoke anybody's sensibilities--given the definition I know, I recognize that the atheistic community fits the description and I ain't gonna deny that. I prefer to be equitable in the treatment of all parties that are subject to the debate.

You're asking questions but not returning any insight on your beliefs so I am starting to feel preachy so I'ma stay quiet as kept and politely excuse myself. This it not to be dismissive of anything with which you might reply. So don't take it that way...I'll respect your inputs but I just prolly won't reply any further.

You don't think Atheism is a religion and I do; I'm cool with that.
Hip-Hop Homework is offline   Reply With Quote