Music Banter - View Single Post - Prog Folk from the Anglosphere
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Hey, thanks neapolitan ! Happy Christmas to you too.
I liked both your Steeleye Span selections. The first one I hadn´t heard before and the second I knew would be good because it´s from Hark! The Village Wait. Of what I´ve listened to, that album is my favorite by Steeleye and the Spans.

And how about Spirogyra ? They are usually compared with Comus, and should not to be confused with US jazz band Spyro Gyra (which is what I once did, and made a very disappointing purchase.) They played around with a folk style, but wrote all their own material, albeit only a total of three album´s worth. I like their soaring violin breaks, and their "beauty and the beast" vocal team gives them a more balanced sound than Comus imo. This track is the closer from their first album, St.Radigunds:-

( Spirogyra have yet to register on MB´s Album Review listings, but here´s a review of First Utterance if anyone is interested:- http://www.musicbanter.com/album-rev...utterance.html )